I'm such an idiot
I've been walking around for 12 days now thinking our referrals could come any second. I've checked my e-mail, checked voicemail, and watched our agency's message board for news.
I e-mailed my agency today, and found that we are not close. I guess I misunderstood the length of time that we would have to wait, or maybe I'm an even bigger idiot and cannot handle waiting these extra few weeks.
I thought maybe that things would start to go our way for a change, that things would get easier. But I'm finding this waiting harder than I ever imagined. And knowing that once we know who our babies are, we will have at least 4 months to wait after that to bring them home makes me very sad.
And forgive me for saying this, but it's very hard for me to watch parents who already have several biological children fly down to visit their Guatemalan babies and bring them home, while we wait here, childless, wondering how on earth we can get through the next few months of waiting.
I know when we have them with us, it will all have been worth it. I know we'll laugh and tell them stories one day about how much we longed for them, to know who they were, to hold them...
But it really hurts right now. I feel foolish, like I did after my first IVF, when I thought I had a really good chance of it working, and was shocked to learn it failed. Since that failure, I never took another IVF cycle or pregnancy for granted, I expected nothing, and wasn't shocked when I was rewarded with nothing. It looks like I need to retain that pessimistic armor for a while longer.
I e-mailed my agency today, and found that we are not close. I guess I misunderstood the length of time that we would have to wait, or maybe I'm an even bigger idiot and cannot handle waiting these extra few weeks.
I thought maybe that things would start to go our way for a change, that things would get easier. But I'm finding this waiting harder than I ever imagined. And knowing that once we know who our babies are, we will have at least 4 months to wait after that to bring them home makes me very sad.
And forgive me for saying this, but it's very hard for me to watch parents who already have several biological children fly down to visit their Guatemalan babies and bring them home, while we wait here, childless, wondering how on earth we can get through the next few months of waiting.
I know when we have them with us, it will all have been worth it. I know we'll laugh and tell them stories one day about how much we longed for them, to know who they were, to hold them...
But it really hurts right now. I feel foolish, like I did after my first IVF, when I thought I had a really good chance of it working, and was shocked to learn it failed. Since that failure, I never took another IVF cycle or pregnancy for granted, I expected nothing, and wasn't shocked when I was rewarded with nothing. It looks like I need to retain that pessimistic armor for a while longer.
.jpg)



9 Comments:
Erica - I know that you will roll your eyes at this but... IT WILL HAPPEN! Your baby is out there! Probably just about to be born.
Think of it this way... this time, next year you will be trying to figure out how to bundle up your baby and run from family member to family member on the holidays because everyone will want to see you and the baby because you have the most beautiful baby in the whole wide world (next to Dylan of course). You just had your last Thanksgiving without a child. You are about to have your last Christmas/Chanukah/New Years without a child.
There is an end to your pain. You will have a child soon.
{{{{{HUGS}}}}
Oh, Erica. I am so sorry. And just for the record, you are so not an idiot. Not even close.
Hi Erica-
I just stumbled across your blog. My husband and I are adopting a baby boy from Guatemala and are also in the waiting process. We got our referral pretty quickly, but the agency told me today there is no way we will be able to travel to bring him home for at least five months. The waiting is absolute torture and I completely agree that it is so hard to watch other people go through the process of building a family so easily. I know people adopt all the time but the waiting right now seems impossible.
Anyway, I hope this process goes as smoothly as possible for you and that your referral comes quickly.
Take care,
Missy
Erica,
Like Amanda said, you are not an idiot at all.
I'm sorry hon.
They will come, and like others said next year you will be trying to figure out how to tote the two little ones around. This will all be a passing memory!
Hang in there. Thinking of you.
Love,
Kim
Oh Erica, ugh, it was hard enough to consider waiting a few weeks much less any longer, I'm sorry. But you are NOT an idiot and I just echo the other comment that this WILL happen. Sometimes that old familiar armour just feels more comfortable since its been around so long. Very soon you WILL be able to burn it for good.
Cindy
Oh honey, I'm so sorry, this brought tears to my eyes. I don't know anything that I can say to make the wait go away, so I'll just send you a virtual squeeze. Take care my friend.
Erica - I am sorry that the referrals will take longer than expected. Maybe something will happen and they will come sooner than expected...you never know.
I totally relate about the people with many bio children though. Not that they shouldn't have the opportunity also but it still hurts those of us with no children who are aching so badly for our first ones!
Remember - I am right there with you lush!
Hi Erica,
I have been thinking a lot about you these days. I am sorry..you are going through this waiting.
Wish you best,
-Hope With IVF
Hang in there. I felt the same way you did. It'll happen and you'll see that it was meant to be.
Post a Comment
<< Home