What an emotional day!
Hello! After another exhausting night, with first Cassandra fussing, then Carter, then Cass, then Carter, etc, etc, we finally got a few hours of sleep towards the morning, and then it was time to get up, and ironically the tots slept soundest in the morning.
We gulped down a quick breakfast and then headed to the lounge to hand the babies back to the foster mothers. The look of relief and joy when both of them saw the babies again after 3 days was so touching, these women really missed Cass and Carter, though I suspect they enjoyed their 8 hours of sleep a night! We chatted a bit with them (through the agency foster mom coordinator/translator) and then it was time to say goodbye... Cassandra's foster mom gave us a gift bag, which was so sweet (we had given them both a gift bag when we met them Friday, with a letter en espanol, telling them about us and how grateful we are that they are taking such good care of the babies. When I later opened the gift bag, I cried at the sweetness of Cass' foster mom - she told us that Cass is a very important baby, and that she loves her, and when we bring her home for good, can we send her pictures and updates? It makes me laugh to think of the look of concern on her face when she met us on Friday, she looked very worried that we would be able to take care of two babies by ourselves (and she had good reason to worry!). But I think after she read my letter, telling her that we've been trying to have children for 4 years, she realized that nobody could ever cherish their children more than we will.
So, after saying goodbye, we went on a day trip to Antigua with an incredibly wonderful guide, Victor. Victor drove us up, up, up these bizarre winding roads from Guatemala City to Antigua (about an hour drive) and told us so much about the country and the people and the culture. I'll try to post more about the trip later, I have to check on some of the names of the places we went.... but I'll just say that it was an incredible trip, after being cooped up in the hotel for 3 days, to see so many people and beautiful scenery and architecture.
We miss the tots already, but we must admit that we are a bit relieved to know we'll finally get some sleep! We met tons of wonderful people who are adopting wonderful, beautiful (and equally fussy!) babies, this was such an experience for us both. We hope that Carter and Cassandra remember us a little bit when we pick them up for good. We'll be home Tuesday night around 10 p.m. eastern time.
THANK YOU ALL for your comments on the blog and on the pictures website, you've made me cry with your warm, witty & funny comments! Thank you all for sharing this with us, it means so much to us to have your company!
Lots of love, Erica and Jeff. Now for the pictures of the day:
Monday, February 6, 2006
We gulped down a quick breakfast and then headed to the lounge to hand the babies back to the foster mothers. The look of relief and joy when both of them saw the babies again after 3 days was so touching, these women really missed Cass and Carter, though I suspect they enjoyed their 8 hours of sleep a night! We chatted a bit with them (through the agency foster mom coordinator/translator) and then it was time to say goodbye... Cassandra's foster mom gave us a gift bag, which was so sweet (we had given them both a gift bag when we met them Friday, with a letter en espanol, telling them about us and how grateful we are that they are taking such good care of the babies. When I later opened the gift bag, I cried at the sweetness of Cass' foster mom - she told us that Cass is a very important baby, and that she loves her, and when we bring her home for good, can we send her pictures and updates? It makes me laugh to think of the look of concern on her face when she met us on Friday, she looked very worried that we would be able to take care of two babies by ourselves (and she had good reason to worry!). But I think after she read my letter, telling her that we've been trying to have children for 4 years, she realized that nobody could ever cherish their children more than we will.
So, after saying goodbye, we went on a day trip to Antigua with an incredibly wonderful guide, Victor. Victor drove us up, up, up these bizarre winding roads from Guatemala City to Antigua (about an hour drive) and told us so much about the country and the people and the culture. I'll try to post more about the trip later, I have to check on some of the names of the places we went.... but I'll just say that it was an incredible trip, after being cooped up in the hotel for 3 days, to see so many people and beautiful scenery and architecture.
We miss the tots already, but we must admit that we are a bit relieved to know we'll finally get some sleep! We met tons of wonderful people who are adopting wonderful, beautiful (and equally fussy!) babies, this was such an experience for us both. We hope that Carter and Cassandra remember us a little bit when we pick them up for good. We'll be home Tuesday night around 10 p.m. eastern time.
THANK YOU ALL for your comments on the blog and on the pictures website, you've made me cry with your warm, witty & funny comments! Thank you all for sharing this with us, it means so much to us to have your company!
Lots of love, Erica and Jeff. Now for the pictures of the day:
Monday, February 6, 2006
.jpg)



13 Comments:
WOW! I go away for a couple days and then there are tons of pictures of two gorgeous babes!!!!
They are just beautiful!!
Glad you got to spend some time with them. Please let the next couple of months fly by for you!!!
PS - Did I mention I LOVE the pictures??
Erica,
It must have been very hard to leave them, but that mixture of I hate to let them go, and Thank God! I need a break never goes away, even for short times away. They really are beautiful children. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.-Kim
LOVE THE PICTURES! Love the TOTs. Have a safe journey home.
I LOVE how you shared the pictures while you were there. How wonderful! It's funny how big Carter looks next to Cass and then when you're holding him he looks so tiny! I'm hoping for a speedy process so you can bring them home soon!
They are so beautiful. I have been following your journey for the past month or so. It is so heart warming to see you with your babies.
All the best to you and your new family. I hope the sleeping patterns improve.
Beautiful pictures. Beautiful family. Have a safe trip.
First of all Erica - your babes are G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!!! They are just as cute as cute can be.
It's great that the foster moms are so caring and loving. I know that helps a lot to have to hand them back to them knowing they are so well loved.
Second - the pictures of the Guatemala countryside are BEAUTIFUL!!! I really, really appreciate you posting them. It is just awesome to see Antigua, the people, the old buildings, and yu guys of course. I really hpe we are able to go to Antigua while we are there.
Hope you guys have a safe trip home. I can't wait to hear more!!
I hope you have a safe trip home. I'm confused, I thought the tots were being fostered together?
WOW the pics are great! Thank you so much Erica for sharing your journey with us. What an emotional day is right! Hopefully time flies by and Cass & Carter will be home with you before you know it.
How beautiful :) Loved reading about your trip!
Cassandra, born 11/24/05 and Carter, born 12/03/05?????????????
It sounds like you had a great visit, thank you so much for sharing so many great pictures! Your children are beautiful and it's so great to see them together!
I hope the rest of the process speeds along so you can bring them home with you forever!
You must mean the cyber twins, Janet. Cyber tots makes even less sense!
;/ Kim
Post a Comment
<< Home