Good news, and absence of more good news...
Well, the good news is Cassandra's case has pre-approval from the US Embassy in Guatemala. Yay! We need pre-approval in order to move on to PGN (the last legal step in the adoption process) once the Family Court finishes their interviews and documentation.
The absence of more good news is that Carter's case is still stuck, waiting for DNA to be done. There is a new person working at the US Embassy, and he seems to not understand that asking for a document that is impossible to procure is holding up hundreds of adoptions. Every US citizen right now adopting from Guatemala who is waiting for DNA is held up. Stuck. Not going anywhere. Babies are getting older, adoptive parents are getting more agitated.
If we were adopting one, this would mean a frustrating delay, but since we have two cases, and were hoping to make only one pickup trip, it's possible that this delay means we could bring Cassandra home on schedule while Carter grows older without us. Not to mention the expense and difficulty of possibly making two pickup trips... well, let's hope that won't happen. Hopefully this man will listen to reason and quickly allow things to proceed the way they had been before he got there. You know the old saying, if it ain't broke...
In other news, we are preparing for our visit trip with glee. For the first time in years, I feel joy when buying baby clothes, holding them, washing them, folding them, instead of longing and sadness. And, my wonderful sister-in-law is hosting a shower for friends and family in late February, and my wonderful and supportive co-workers are planning one, too. My co-workers have known about pretty much every step of our infertility career and now adoption, and it has really helped me to have them there to support me.
Oh, and lastly, after making our trip arrangements, I received a copy of an Internal Revenue Bulletin (Rev. Proc. 2005-31) which changes their previous policy of not allowing the adoption tax credit to be taken unless a state recognizes the foreign adoption as final. Now, your child can come home on a non-citizen visa, and as long as the foreign authorities consider the adoption final (which Guatemala does) then you can claim the tax credit the year the adoption decree is issued in the country. No need for a special visit. Ugh! Anyone headed for international adoption should make sure to fully research this issue, and apparently searching the IRS website isn't enough, this bulletin didn't come up when I searched by keyword. We're still visiting, though, and very happy about it. It will still be advantageous to have the special IR-3 visa making them instant citizens, but we will still have more paperwork to do to get them US birth certificates, social security cards, and change their names.
If you're still reading, I commend you for your attentiveness while I rambled on!
The absence of more good news is that Carter's case is still stuck, waiting for DNA to be done. There is a new person working at the US Embassy, and he seems to not understand that asking for a document that is impossible to procure is holding up hundreds of adoptions. Every US citizen right now adopting from Guatemala who is waiting for DNA is held up. Stuck. Not going anywhere. Babies are getting older, adoptive parents are getting more agitated.
If we were adopting one, this would mean a frustrating delay, but since we have two cases, and were hoping to make only one pickup trip, it's possible that this delay means we could bring Cassandra home on schedule while Carter grows older without us. Not to mention the expense and difficulty of possibly making two pickup trips... well, let's hope that won't happen. Hopefully this man will listen to reason and quickly allow things to proceed the way they had been before he got there. You know the old saying, if it ain't broke...
In other news, we are preparing for our visit trip with glee. For the first time in years, I feel joy when buying baby clothes, holding them, washing them, folding them, instead of longing and sadness. And, my wonderful sister-in-law is hosting a shower for friends and family in late February, and my wonderful and supportive co-workers are planning one, too. My co-workers have known about pretty much every step of our infertility career and now adoption, and it has really helped me to have them there to support me.
Oh, and lastly, after making our trip arrangements, I received a copy of an Internal Revenue Bulletin (Rev. Proc. 2005-31) which changes their previous policy of not allowing the adoption tax credit to be taken unless a state recognizes the foreign adoption as final. Now, your child can come home on a non-citizen visa, and as long as the foreign authorities consider the adoption final (which Guatemala does) then you can claim the tax credit the year the adoption decree is issued in the country. No need for a special visit. Ugh! Anyone headed for international adoption should make sure to fully research this issue, and apparently searching the IRS website isn't enough, this bulletin didn't come up when I searched by keyword. We're still visiting, though, and very happy about it. It will still be advantageous to have the special IR-3 visa making them instant citizens, but we will still have more paperwork to do to get them US birth certificates, social security cards, and change their names.
If you're still reading, I commend you for your attentiveness while I rambled on!
.jpg)



4 Comments:
What is holding things up exactly? Wanting the orignal birth certificate? What's taking so long for Carter? Well, the good news is you will see both of them shortly. Please fill me in.
I hope Carter gets un-stuck soon so you can bring both babies home together!!! Can't wait to hear about the visit!!!
Ugh, just what you need (yes, the world does revolve around you right now). Hopefully dude moves things along and quick.
You're buying BABY clothes? Yikes! he he.
I want a shower invite Erica!! (And I don't go to baby showers anymore, but you are special:-)). These are two of the most beautiful children I have ever seen, and their eyes radiate love. I hope you enjoy your trip to see them very much. I'm following this whenever I get a minute away from Owen. I am keeping you in my thoghts. I know the waiting is incedibly hard after such a long sad journey, but these kids look worth it. Love ya.--Kim
Post a Comment
<< Home