Wednesday, March 22, 2006

How ironic, or food poisoning part 2

After a very fussy evening, (though sprinkled with cute smiles and coos and love), the tots settled down around 11 and midnight, and slept. And slept. And slept. I wish I could have enjoyed it, but I had a new round of stomach woes and I couldn't sleep much more than a few winks.

The tots must have slept from 11 or 12 to about 4:30 a.m., but then wouldn't go back to sleep, and we had to wake up at 5:30 for our embassy appointment (yes, Nana Kim, much more signing of paperwork, but this was to get the babies' visas). Sigh.

Poor Carter is sicker, with a cough and boogery nose, but he's a trouper. I'm thankful he doesn't have the set of pipes that Cassandra has, because when he cries it's kind of soft and tolerable!

Anyway, he mostly slept through the embassy games, while Cassie was charming everyone in sight! There were I believe a total of 20-30 families there for their visas, five of them with our agency. Another set of "cyber twins" is coming home, and it was nice to meet all the other families.

We are so relieved! The only hoop left to jump is through immigration at Dulles airport on Friday night. Until then, we are going to take it easy in the hotel and get to know each other better.

I've mentioned Cassie's foster mom (Maria) many times - it was very emotional saying goodbye to her yesterday. We took several short videos of her comforting Cassie, and when Cassie would not stop crying yesterday, and I suspected she missed Maria, I played the video and she quieted right down. It was a little heartbreaking, but I suspect Maria will take much longer to adjust. Cassie seems very good now, she is smitten with Jeff and vice versa! I'm trying to give our high-maintenance boy all the love and TLC I can, along with his 4 medicines that have to be dosed at odd hours around the clock!

Jeff has the camera with him out and about, and we'll post some pics later, here is one (tried to post one of me & carter, but blogger wasn't cooperating) that was taken by the agency when we picked up the tots yesterday. Thanks for all the comments and support!

12 Comments:

Blogger Laura F. said...

Congratulations on getting through the embassy!! I hope you have a great week in Guatemala as you get to know the tots.

1:38 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger x said...

It is so exciting to see you with the babies. The IF community is so tight, when one person has a success I think we all feel good.
I hope you get a decent night sleep sometime in the next couple of months! All the best to your new family for your trip home.

2:22 PM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! Glad to hear things are going well (except for your tummy thing going on), post more pics asap -- Cass' eyes are gorgeous!

xoxox
Merc

2:45 PM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yippee!!! All the hurdles are over and now its time to enjoy!

I posted to you about Cass: I knew it would take all of a day for her to "readjust."

SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!!!

Keep the pix coming. Love, Karen (loveajax)

2:55 PM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you say binkies? I gotta tell you, if they truly are reflux babies, and I know you'll find out when you bring them home, it may sound awful but the binkie helps them swallow what they might have brought up into their esogophus' They were very helpful for S and L so maybe you could try letting them suck on your finger while you're down there and give them the gift of a binkie when you are up here! good luck and we'll see you soon -love, karengeorgia

4:17 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Barb said...

Wonderful News! They are all YOURS! :) I see you are staying at the Westin...I recognize the family lounge....gosh, I hope someone threw out that pizza we accidentally left in the fridge. :) Have a safe trip home! Love the updates.

5:46 PM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can not believe it is finally all happening. It is so exciting. Cass and Carter are absolutely beautiful little tots. Can not wait until they get home. Poor cats will not know what is happening.

6:34 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger HollyGee said...

Isn't it amazing that we can still function on little to no sleep? I hope your tummy gets better fast. I love the pictures and can't wait to see more.

:)Holly

6:38 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger cindy said...

I'm so excited for you guys! You were, right Erica, pink looks immenent for us too- sooner than we thought! Take care and have a great rest of your trip!

9:53 PM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica and Jeff,
Whew! What a busy time--so much emotion, so much joy and so much tiredness. But it's all as it's meant to be and you have your two little children.
It must have been sad saying goodbye to Maria. But I know she knows you will be vry loving parents for Cassandra. It's interesting that she cries louder than Carter. We're so glad you did get some hours of sleep last night and I hope tonight and Thursday night are better. It's so good you got to talk to the other new parents.
We will be there on Friday night on time to pick up the Four of you.
Just keep calm and know you will all be getting some help when you get home and that it will be much easier. I hope you and Carter are feeling better, Erica.
Love,
Nana/Joy

11:30 PM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHOOT! WHOOT!
How can you talk about sleep? Take it from a mother of twins, you've had your last full night's sleep until at least 2024! It will be worth it though, you'll see! Best wishes!

Kelly
(We've never met but I couldn't resist posting. Hope it's okay! WHOOT! WHOOT!)

12:29 AM, March 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Erica I can sooooo relate to the illness, fussiness, embassy, etc!!! Except for the fact you are doing it TIMES TWO!!!!

Immigration is nothing really so don't worry too much about it. You just give them the envelopes and answer a question or two - that's it!

I hope you have an uneventful flight!

4:08 PM, March 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home