Friday, July 07, 2006

F-ing B's

The weather in Northern VA turned quite nice yesterday, cooler and less humid. After picking up the tots from Jeff's sister's house, we ate dinner and decided to take Cass and Carter for a walk in the woods behind our house, in their Snugli carriers. Charlie the Guide Cat came along, so we couldn't go very far; he gets agitated when he sees us leaving the yard. He gallops ahead and turns on the trail to face us, as if to block us from going any farther. If we pass him, he starts yowling, "Come back, it's not safe out there, you'll get lost without me!"

So we just strolled in circles, listening to the cardinals sing, and looking at the muddy trail from all the recent rains. When we turned to walk back to our yard, Jeff yelped and looked down at his ankle. It was covered by insects of some kind, and he swatted at them. We both were confused, until Carter screamed, and then I got stung on my thumb. We both realized Jeff must have stepped on a yellow-jacket hive! We ran out of the woods, and I don't remember running up to the house and inside. A swarm of bees was on us, and I began howling in rage at them, swatting and stomping them. We ran from room to room to try to leave them behind, and tore our clothes off, and the babies clothes.

Carter was stung at least once, we couldn't find a sting on Cassandra. It was terrifying, as we didn't know if they had beesting allergies! We finally killed all the bees in the house (must have been 15-20 bees dead) and chased out the live ones on the screen door. I called the pediatrician, but couldn't figure out which %$*#@ option to press to get to the Dr. on call. So I insisted we jump in the car and head towards the hospital, in case one of the tots had an allergic reaction. Jeff called his aunt, a nurse, on the way, and I finally reached the pediatrician. Both assured us with only one or two stings to an infant, if they don't swell up and have difficulty breathing, that all they'd need is benadryl. So we bought some and came home. Jeff did another sweep of the house before we came in, and then vacuumed up all the f-ing bee carcasses.

Oh, the humanity! What a terrifying thing, to be scared for your babies. And their reaction to us yowling and cursing, the poor tots, we terrified them! Cassandra, little Miss Independent, actually held her hands up to me and wanted me to pick her up. Oh, I hope that never happens again (being attacked by bees, that is - it was pretty cool to have your baby reach for you, finally!). I guess the woods are off-limits to us now.

OK, time to think happy thoughts, here are some pictures from the last few days/weeks, per Carla's request. Carla, I hope you're feeling better, and I hope you're out of PGN and home with Miss Emma very soon! (Carla and husband Chris started their process when we did, and I am so sorry that their adoption process hit some roadblocks. Carla is in Antigua, Guatemala, fostering Emma until she can come home).

Monday, June 19, 2006


Tuesday, June 20, 2006


Thursday, June 22, 2006


Saturday, June 24, 2006


Sunday, June 25, 2006


Monday, June 26, 2006


Wednesday, June 28, 2006


Thursday, June 29, 2006


Saturday, July 1, 2006

5 Comments:

Blogger Laura F. said...

Wow, Erica. That's just awful! I'm glad the tots are okay. We have bees all around us and Dominic was stung four times last week when mowing the lawn. I'm always worried about Grayson. I've been so lucky!

3:51 PM, July 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can not imagine that feeling. I had a semisimilar thing happen with our BLACK LAB and that was scary enough. me? my heart would JUST NOW be slowing down!

and, selfishly, THANKS FOR THE PHOTO MONTAGE!

those babies are so adorable and I love seeing what guatemalan babies actually look like when they are in the usa (dont forget to tip your waitress. Ill be here all week)

take care
Carla

5:34 PM, July 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, I feel like I'm going to pass out just reading about that. I am sooooo afraid of things that sting. It sounds like you handled the situation well though.

4:25 PM, July 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those tots get cuter every day!!

12:00 PM, July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That must have been very scary - glad ya'll are all ok.
Keep the pictures coming! I love them!

1:11 PM, July 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home