Sunday, April 23, 2006

Oh Nutramigen, how do we love thee?

Sorry to keep you in suspense! The doctor was wonderful, really enthusiastic and encouraging about us adopting two babies. He sees a lot of international adopted babies in his practice, which includes about 6 other doctors. He concluded that Carter needed a new formula, that he was sensitive to the proteins, even though he was on lactose-free formula, supposedly for his fussiness. He didn't think it was reflux. So, we are to try a very expensive brand of formula, Enfamil Nutramigen, which has the proteins broken down to the most basic level, easily digested by a young tot. If we don't see results in a month, we'll reassess the situation.

Well, the dang stuff has worked wonders already! Carter is "regular" if you get my drift, and he is MUCH less irritable and gassy. And, he is sleeping a billion hours a night, with only one night-time feeding! Heaven.

Now, the girl is acting up, screeching and howling all night and getting constipated. Doctor told us there's no need for her to be on soy formula, and sure enough, we think that it is causing her problems. So yesterday we switched her to milk-based, and hopefully she will adjust to that. I can't take too many of these sleep-disrupted nights in a row, man!

Other than the formula issues, the tots were weighed, measured, and assessed, and pronounced healthy and on target for motor skills. I'm supposed to get them to try to "talk" more, and blow raspberries at them, etc. And I'm supposed to mimic them - but how do I learn to make baby dinosaur sounds (Cassie) and high-pitched dolphin squeals (Carter)?! Next appointment is at 6 months, around June 5th.

Did I tell you guys I go back to work on May 2nd? I'll start out at 3 days a week for the month of May, then do 4 days a week in June, then full-time in July. I'm conflicted about it, worried about how we will all adjust, and whether I'll be so tired I'll fall asleep at my cubicle. But on the other hand, I'm looking forward to it, watching both tots all day and night is really exhausting, and sometimes I feel the 4 walls are closing in on me. Luckily, my wonderful sister-in-law will be watching the tots at her house just a few blocks away from ours. The babies already know and love her, and I know they'll do fine.

I'll edit this post tomorrow to add pictures and video, hopefully. Right after I drive 4 vials of poopy in preservative solution to the doctors office for testing. What a joy collecting those specimens was!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica...
I'm so glad that the babies had good check-ups! Katelyn was on that expensive formula for a time, and then eventually moved on to soy, and then kind of just grew out of her milk-allergy. I'm relieved for you and Carter that everyone is now content! Can't wait to see new pictures!

5:33 AM, April 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT update Erica. Hope Cass settles down real soon.

5:14 PM, April 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely, well most of it. Not the work part, and not the speciman part, but the rest was wonderful! :) Hope the new formula works for Cass!

1:19 PM, April 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, Nutrimigen. It costs its weight in gold. I'm glad its working out for Carter. I know it is the only thing that works for Gabe. In fact, Gabe's still on it at 15 mths and probably will be until he's about 2. I hope Carter fares better.

I hope Cass's new formula helps her out as well.

3:13 PM, April 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home