Saturday, December 17, 2005

Ho, Ho, Ho!

Santa left us some early presents in our inbox this afternoon. These are from the adoption agency's Christmas Party in Guatemala City. All the foster moms were there, some 50 of them, with almost 60 infants. All was peaceful at lunch - how is that possible? It is due to the phenomenal parenting skills of these wonderful women.

I am not the least bit worried about the care Cassandra and Carter are getting. Even though I don't yet know their foster mom's names, I know they're being loved and cared for by wonderful people.


Cassandra and Santa

Look at her little chicken legs!

If you're wondering why Carter wasn't at the party, he was only 5 days old on the 8th, and I think he was probably at home with his foster mom, burping and fussing. We were told he had colic and oral thrush (apparently a non-serious and not painful condition), and was treated for the thrush on the 12th of December, but if you've ever known anyone with a colicky baby (hello Karen, my sister!) I bet Carter's foster mom had her hands full. He's been switched to soy formula for apparent lactose intolerance and we hope he is doing better now.

Next week Cassie should go for her one-month checkup, and I should get more information then. Both babies' Powers of Attorney are being processed through the same lovely paperwork system we used for their dossiers, and we should be FedExing those to arrive in Guatemala City just after Christmas. Those documents will authorize our attorney to begin the legal proceedings. Estimated completion of the adoptions is 4-5 months, but it really depends on a lot of factors. So we hope to bring them home around April/May.

The first steps will be to get DNA testing on both tots and their birthmothers (to prove that the biological mothers are the ones voluntarily placing their babies for adoption) and the cases will enter Family Court. I'm sure we're a few weeks away from that, so I'll try to relax for a while and enjoy the holidays for a change.

Just last year, Jeff and I were mourning the loss of our first pregnancy (which happened on Dec. 24th, 2001) and gloomily preparing for IVF #4. I think I much prefer this holiday season! YEEEHOOOOOOOO!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erica, not sure if you remember me (Dokulena). I just want to congratulate you on your beautiful new babies! They are absolutely gorgeous! I am so thrilled for you, you deserve this and those babies are so lucky. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! =) -Lucy

9:36 PM, December 17, 2005  
Blogger Erica said...

Hi Lucy! I sure do remember you! Your "donation" helped out several of my friends who had no insurance coverage for meds, so thank you again!

Thanks for your lovely words about the babies, and Happy Holidays to you, too!

8:09 AM, December 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute Santa pictures! You can bet those foster moms are amazing. I wish we would've stayed in contact with ours. The wait and the paperwork... argh... hang in there. It's hard, but really, I promise, there's an end in site.

9:29 PM, December 18, 2005  
Blogger Mel said...

Aw, what cute pics! That is really exciting that Cass got to meet Santa. I hope the next steps pass quickly so you can get them home.

This sounds like a much better holiday season for you than last year!

1:00 PM, December 19, 2005  
Blogger Kimmer said...

Erica,
She's too cute! How nice of them to send you pictures. I can't wait until you get your tots. Yes, enjoy the Holiday Season! Something I was not able to do last year either.

1:02 PM, December 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, its amazing how much Cassie has grown since her first pictures. She's so cute! I know your holidays will be VERY happy this year - and just think of next year!

Cindy

9:16 PM, December 19, 2005  
Blogger Kristin said...

Hi Erica ~ I don't think you know me but I somehow found my way to your blog and have been lurking. I just had to comment on the adorable pics though! What a wonderful Christmas present, two adorable little babies! Congrats to you!
~Kristin

5:17 PM, December 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica - I much prefer this holiday season too!
But you know what? JUST WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR!!!!!!! Woo hoo baby!
We will be Mama's to some cutie pie's by then!!!!

11:20 PM, December 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home